Friday, July 25, 2014

Murphy's Law and EcoAquariums


There's a Murphy's Law that states: "Develop a foolproof system and only a fool will use it", while our EcoAquariums are far from foolproof, they do have a bit of intelligent engineering behind them that make them as close to maintenance-free as you can get with any aquarium. But there's times, based on some of the letters we've received, that makes us give pause as to how well Ol' Murphy and his laws can be right on the mark.

With anything involving living organisms, there are countless things can happen, all depending on outside influences. Here at Wild Creations, we encounter problems from concerned customers about their EcoAquariums that run the gamut.

"I was afraid my Frogs were getting too hot, so I placed then in front of the air conditioner... now they just sit there..."   Frogs are amphibian's, meaning they're cold-blooded, they depend on their environment temperature. If the environment is cold, amphibians become cold, and tend to hibernate...or die. Dwarf Frogs were originally from the rain forests of West Africa, not a place commonly known for Air Conditioning. The Smart Thing: Keep your EcoAquarium within a moderately comfortable temperature of 70 to 80 degrees.

"I didn't think my frog was getting enough air so I took the lid off...now my frog's missing."
The oxygen that the bamboo produces, along with the feeding hole in the lid allow for plenty of air. The lid serves several functions...it keeps the dust and junk out, keeps water from evaporating too quickly...and keeps wayward frogs from exploring too far.


"I didn't like the ugly brown rocks so I didn't use it in my EcoAquarium...why is my water all cloudy and my frogs dying?" The "Ugly" brown gravel is the "third leg" of the entire eco-system, the gravel is infused with beneficial anaerobic bacteria that serves as the "filter" for the EcoAquarium. Without it, it'll be hard for the EcoAquarium to establish a healthy environment.
"I keep my Cube in sunlight so the bamboo can grow....why is my water green?" You'd think that bamboo needs needs lots of sun but not so... it's a grass that thrives in indirect sunlight. Most importantly, just like all aquariums, too much sunlight can trigger an algae bloom, which can really muck things up. Keep your EcoAquarium off the window sill & it'll do fine.


Happily, most of the problems that may arise can easily be fixed, and while there's always something that may come along that could be a real head-scratcher, you can count on us at Wild Creations to help you work things out. Drop us a line, anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get This 4 Column Template Here
Get More Templates Here